[CT Birds] Boston hollow, Eastford updated and combined list for Tues and Wed 5/25 - 5/26

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Wed May 26 16:26:24 EDT 2010

Boston Hollow had a somewhat limited selection, as is usual,  but it  was
alive with birds yesterday.and today.  Seemed to be somewhat fewer  today.
I bird there on a day like this because it is much cooler.  My car  said
79* when I left at 2:15, and 95* in Willimantic at 3:00 pm.  About 15  or 20
miles apart.
Bald Eagle, adult
Winter Wren - 2 - one on 5/26 singing its head off at 2 pm in the  heat.
Marsh Wren
Carolina Wren
House Wren - several
Empid. flycatcher sp. -  2
Eastern Wood-pewee
Great Crested Flycatcher
Black-capped Chickadees -  many
Tufted Titmouse - a few
Blue-headed Vireo - several, mostly in 1  location
Red-eyed vireo -  many
Warbling Vireo
Ovenbird  - many, many - could hear 3 or 4  from  almost any given spot
Canada Warbler - many, many, seemed to be 1  every 150 feet or  so along
Louisiana Waterthrush 1 - first  one I have ever found there.
Northern Waterthrush 1 today,  normal and expected.
Yellow  Warbler - a few near the sunny  swamps
Common Yellowthroat,  many, many. Sounded like under every bush.
Black-throated Green Warbler - at least 8 singing, there were  many
earlier this
Pine Warbler - many
Yellow-rumped Warbler - several in the north end.  I suspect they nest
American Redstart - many
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
COMMON RAVENS -  1st time I have seen or heard them this  year.  Sounded
like they  were nesting up above the log loading  area.
Wood  Thrush
Song Sparrow
Chipping Sparrow
Swamp Sparrow
Cedar  Waxwing
Northern Cardinal
Common Grackles
Brown-headed Cowbirds
Red-winged Blackbirds - a few in the  swamps

I'm sure I still left out a couple, and  there were a few bird songs in the
woods I could not ID.
Don Morgan