[CT Birds] Pileated woodpecker, within 30 feet in the open, Washington, CT

John D Babington davewb07 at sbcglobal.net
Thu May 27 19:49:19 EDT 2010

I left our main house here in Washington, CT (South St) about ten minutes ago (7:30 PM, 27 May 2010) to go to my summer cottage, which is within 100 feet of the main house. I got about of a third of my way to the cottage when I noted a pileated woodpecker working on a very old tree stump. I must have been within 30 feet of the woodpecker. The bird had it's back to me and was working hard on the tree stump. I slowly backed up back to the house. The bird was aware of me as it called briefly. I did not get the best look at the woodpecker's "face" but I think it was a male pileated. I had noted a pileated earlier in the day retreating from the area of our bird bath here.

David W Babington
Washington, CT