[CT Birds] Unusual Yellow bellied sapsucker

Carrier Graphics carriergraphics at sbcglobal.net
Fri May 28 21:29:14 EDT 2010

Saw something very surprising today.
Looking out into the yard, I thought i saw one of our Bluebirds drop down
onto the lawn to catch a snack. But instead, it was a YELLOW BELLIED SAPSUCKER ! It fed there, hopping around on the grass for 15 minutes, seemingly snatching up bugs and ants much like a Flicker does.
Never saw this bird feeding from the ground before, and especially on an open grass lawn! Might he have seen the Bluebirds doing this and thought he to might give it a try?

Paul Carrier - Harwinton