[CT Birds] RT HB localities

Christopher J. Clark christopher.clark at yale.edu
Wed Jun 2 15:59:09 EDT 2010

Dear CT Birders,

I am a postdoc researcher at the Peabody Museum.  I'm hoping to conduct a
research project on the courtship displays of the Ruby-throated Hummingbird,
but I'm having a hard time locating breeding birds-- they don't seem to be
as common as the Californian species I've worked with in the past.  Are any
of you aware of good locations for RTHB in the vicinity of New Haven?  Thus
far I have searched East Rock in New Haven, an area near Brooksvale Park in
Hamden, Yale's West Campus, without seeing a single hummer.

My ideal location would be relatively open (not forest) where males have
territories set up, and close to New Haven

For an example of some of my previous research, please see chapter 4 of the
following video
http://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/episodes/hummingbirds-magic-in-the-air/video-full-episode/5475/

Sincerely,
-Chris Clark

--
Gaylord Donnelley Postdoctoral Associate, Prum Lab
Yale Institute of Biospheric Studies (YIBS)