[CT Birds] Breeding Bird Survey Volunteer needed

COMINS, Patrick PCOMINS at audubon.org
Thu Jun 3 12:50:37 EDT 2010

Please see the below message from Andrew Dasinger about the need for coverage on the Westbrook Breeding Bird Survey route.  The Breeding Bird Survey is our most important national (plus Canada) standardized survey to track population trends in breeding bird species in North America.  For more information on this important program and an analysis of the results please see:
http://www.pwrc.usgs.gov/bbs/
and
http://www.mbr-pwrc.usgs.gov/bbs/bbs.html
Thank you!

Hello fellow Connecticut BBS volunteers!

First of all, thanks to all of you who submitted your BBS data for 2009.  The data help researchers, conservation groups, government agencies, and others monitor trends in our state's breeding bird populations, something that is vital to establishing conservation priorities.  It's now the official start of the 2010 survey period (the 45th year of BBS in CT), so I hope everyone can once again spend a morning sometime during June completing their route.

Unfortunately, it looks like we will still have a gap in coverage of the Westbrook route this year (if you know someone who would be a good candidate for this route, please contact me).  The other 15 routes have assigned observers, so in theory we should have data for 15 route surveys entered into the BBS database this year.  I would like us to be in the top tier of states in terms of coverage (76% to 100%), which means we need to have at least 13 routes with data submitted (the last year of 13 or more routes covered was in 2005).  It's understandable that circumstances beyond one's control will sometimes interfere with covering a route in a given year, but if you're at a point where you feel unable to provide consistent coverage or want to "retire" from the BBS, please let me know so I can find another volunteer.  (We have 3 new observers this year.)

Good luck completing your route, free from barking dogs, chainsaws, lawnmowers, excess traffic and all those other annoyances that can make it harder to hear and count!

All the best,
Andrew Dasinger
andrew.dasinger 'at' UTCPower.com

Patrick M. Comins