[CT Birds] Bird ID help needed

Barbara Garrett barbaragarrett at optonline.net
Sat Jun 5 07:39:12 EDT 2010

Hi everyone,

Heard a bird at first light this morning for the first time that I cannot ID (not surprising since I'm a beginner).  The call was not at all melodic; it sounded like someone hammering on wood --not metal.  This was definitely a call, not a drumming, nor a sapsucker working a tree.  It repeated quickly from 6-9 times, then a 3-5 second interval, then 6-9 times (meaning the number varied) again.  I live in mature woods, with a couple of nearby ponds, although it is still somewhat suburban.

Also have had a pewee calling for over a month now...when does he find his mate?  Wood thrush staying here also.  FOY hummer yesterday approaching my feeder, then being scared off by birds landing on my sunflower feeder.