[CT Birds] PEREGRINE FALCON - Meriden's Hubbard Park

Joseph Budrow jbudrow at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jun 6 15:20:34 EDT 2010

In search of peregrine falcons only and knowing to look for the signature signs of wash I found a peregrine falcon perched in a  horizontal crevasse on the east face of East Peak overlooking the Merimere Reservoir. Awesome sighting. I did not see a second bird but was only watching for about 20 minutes. Now that i know this guy is residing in Meriden (or nearby) I will monitor.

Enter Hubbard Park and proceed to the rear to Reservoir Ave that takes visitors up to Castle Craig. As you are passing the reservoir to the left there will be a turn-off on the right. Park there a look up on East Peak. The crevasse is the lower, longer one to the north just before the rock facade ends. Evidence of wash is almost unmistakable. You'll notice there is a lot of lichen cover to confuse the amateurs.