[CT Birds] Anyone interested? I know we have LOTS of qualified people!

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Tue Jun 8 19:20:25 EDT 2010

From: Greg Norwood <Greg_Norwood at fws.gov>
Date: Tue, Jun 8, 2010  at 9:10 AM
Subject: [birders] Final Request for Bids for Detroit River Hawk  Watch
To: birders at umich.edu

This is NOT a  minor Hawk watch, two years ago they had 255,000
Broad-winged Hawks in 1  DAY!   Check Hawkcount! for anyone interested.  I'd disregard
last year - the counter was not up to the task -- and he had been the
counter at  Cape May the previous year!  DRHW- Lake Erie Metropark is  the count

FALL 2010 PAID RAPTOR  COUNTER NEEDED to continue raptor migration
monitoring for the Detroit River  Hawk Watch. Over 27 years of data have
been collected at this nationally  acclaimed migration corridor at the
Detroit River-mouth at the Lake Erie  Metropark and Point Mouillee State
Game Area. Consider being part of an  organization that is putting an
emphasis on data consistency, dissemination,  and appropriate analyses;
recent efforts will culminate in an up-to-date data  compilation of summary
statistics by the 2010 season. A primary counter is  needed to spend each
day with appropriate weather at the site performing the  basic monitoring
protocol and regular data entry into HawkCount database from  1 Sep to 30
Nov 2010. This is a tremendous opportunity for an already  accomplished
hawk counter to collect migration data at a site with  spectacular fall
flights of broad-winged hawks, golden eagles, and all  eastern raptors,
including reliable passages of Swainson's hawk. We seek an  individual
experienced with large passages of raptors at a distance with  meticulous
data entry skills. Contract will be through the International  Wildlife
Refuge Alliance, which is a non-profit (501c3) organization  furthering the
mission of the Detroit River International Wildlife Refuge.  Please
contact: GREG NORWOOD, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.  E-mail:
Greg_Norwood at fws.gov (PH: 734-692-7611 or 734-341-3858) 9311 Groh  Road,
Grosse Ile, MI 48138.