[CT Birds] Bluebird behavior question

John D Babington davewb07 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jun 12 09:31:29 EDT 2010

Had a phone call from a family friend here in Washington, CT who had a bluebird behavior question. It seems they had a pair of bluebirds who apparently fledged some young from a bluebird box on their property in the last few weeks. Our friend's husband was not positive the young had fledged from the box so checked it and found the box empty, so he cleaned out the box. For the last 3 weeks they have been noting some interesting behavior by a pair of bluebirds. The pair has been perching on their cars, investigating the mirrors on the cars (assuming the bluebirds have been concerned with rivals in the mirror) and hanging around on the cars. My friend's husband some times leaves the windows of his truck open on a warm day and when he has gone to get in his trunk has found the bluebirds in the truck. The bluebirds have also been hanging out by the windows of my friends house. Any theory out there about this odd bluebird behavior?

David W Babington
Washington, CT