[CT Birds] Amazing Mulberry tree

Carrier Graphics carriergraphics at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jun 12 17:51:55 EDT 2010

Have had much time this year in the yard keeping an eye out for
whats happening daily. I planted 7 years ago a Mulberry tree. It is
 now 20 feet high and this spring is just dripping with berries.
So here is my surprising list of birds seen so far feeding from this tree.

Baltimore Oriole
S Tanager
Cedar Waxwing - 6 often
Kingbird
Starling
Wood thrush
Hermit Thrush
Robin - often
Catbird- more than often
Bluebird
House finch - the whole family
Purple finch - pair
Goldfinch - never knew they ate berries
Red-wing Blackbird
Cardinal
Rose-breasted Grosbeak
Towhee
Bluejay - often, and feeding young
Blue headed Vireo - Once in April when berries were green!
Great crested Flycatcher - I think it ate a berry, not certain.
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker - often in tree.

Other species have been in tree, but haven't seen them
 in the act of eating berries. That's 21species!

My record species counted in my Service berry tree over
25 years of counting is 15 species, and this Mulberry tree
in just one year has passed that count handily. If you want
to attract birds to your yard, I suggest first planting a Mulberry tree!

Paul Carrier - Harwinton