[CT Birds] CTBirds Digest, Vol 1204, Issue 1

billrileyhere billrileyhere at earthlink.net
Sun Jun 13 17:57:26 EDT 2010


Red, black, or white mulberries?  Bill Riley, New Haven
-----Original Message-----
>From: ctbirds-request at lists.ctbirding.org
>Sent: Jun 13, 2010 1:00 PM
>To: ctbirds at lists.ctbirding.org
>Subject: CTBirds Digest, Vol 1204, Issue 1
>
>Send CTBirds mailing list submissions to
>	ctbirds at lists.ctbirding.org
>
>To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
>	http://lists.ctbirding.org/mailman/listinfo/ctbirds_lists.ctbirding.org
>
>or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
>	ctbirds-request at lists.ctbirding.org
>
>You can reach the person managing the list at
>	ctbirds-owner at lists.ctbirding.org
>
>When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
>than "Re: Contents of CTBirds digest..."
>
>
>***  When replying to this message please trim off the unrelated portions ***
>
>Today's Topics:
>
>   1. Audubon Shop - Madison; Hammo (The Audubon Shop)
>   2. Cockenoe Is. vs high tides. (lpflynn at optonline.net)
>   3. Concerning Red Headed Woodpecker (Paul Desjardins)
>   4. West Hartford (Paul Desjardins)
>   5. Amazing Mulberry tree (Carrier Graphics)
>   6. Re: Concerning Red Headed Woodpecker (Glenn Williams)
>   7. Purple Martins (wingsct at juno.com)
>   8. Black Skimmer (John Ogren)
>   9. Re: Amazing Mulberry tree (jayne.amico at cox.net)
>  10. starlings (martin swanhall)
>  11. Upland Sandpipers, etc. (Roy Harvey)
>
>
>----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>Message: 1
>Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2010 13:35:27 -0400
>From: The Audubon Shop <birdshop at sbcglobal.net>
>To: CTBird Report <ctbirds at lists.ctbirding.org>
>Subject: [CT Birds] Audubon Shop - Madison; Hammo
>Message-ID: <4255b5d50250e555f5cba38e040148f6 at sbcglobal.net>
>Content-Type: text/plain;	charset=US-ASCII;	format=flowed
>
> From Jerry Connolly and The Audubon Shop Sat. Bird Walk Crew:
>6/12/10
>- Horsepond, Madison -- Wood Duck female with 6 young, LITTLE BLUE HERON
>
>- Madison residence -- YELLOW-CROWNED NIGHT-HERON (pair on nest with 3 
>young)
>
>- Hammonasset State Park -- YELLOW-CROWNED NIGHT-HERON (2), LITTLE BLUE 
>HERON, AMERICAN OYSTERCATCHER (pair), CLAPPER RAIL (pair), BROWN 
>THRASHER (2+), SALTMARSH SPARROW
>
>
>The Audubon Shop
>907 Boston Post Rd.
>Madison, CT  06443
>
>203-245-9056
>US toll free 888-505-9056
>fax  203-245-8235
>www.theaudubonshop.com
>email:birdshop at sbcglobal.net (preferred)
>
>Shop Hours:  M-Sat 10am-5pm ET   Sundays 12-4pm ET
>
>
>
>------------------------------
>
>Message: 2
>Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2010 20:00:59 +0000 (GMT)
>From: lpflynn at optonline.net
>To: "z/ctbirds at lists.ctbirding.org" <ctbirds at lists.ctbirding.org>
>Subject: [CT Birds] Cockenoe Is. vs high tides.
>Message-ID: <e4858955aa4e.4c13e77b at optonline.net>
>Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
>
>The tern colony at Cockenoe Island Westport, survived last nights 8.2 tide, the next three early morning tides are higher. 8.3 Sunday 12:15am, 8.4 Monday 1:00am and 8.4 Tuesday 1:55am.
>Thankfully there are no Noreaster's in the forecast, as many of these nest are barely above the high tide line without any waves.
> 
>3 -1st summer LAUGHING GULLS.
> 
>Larry
>
>
>------------------------------
>
>Message: 3
>Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2010 17:19:27 -0400
>From: Paul Desjardins <paul.desjardins2 at gmail.com>
>To: ctbirds at lists.ctbirding.org
>Subject: [CT Birds] Concerning Red Headed Woodpecker
>Message-ID: <0E204E18-2FF4-4B01-94F3-F0F6104BE47F at gmail.com>
>Content-Type: text/plain;	charset=US-ASCII;	format=flowed;	delsp=yes
>
>
>
>
>
>Paul Desjardins
>Phone: (860) 623-3696
>paul.desjardins2 at gmail.com
>
>The last time i observed the Red Headed Woodpecker at Northwest Park  
>was on January 17th.
>
>
>
>
>
>------------------------------
>
>Message: 4
>Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2010 17:25:28 -0400
>From: Paul Desjardins <paul.desjardins2 at gmail.com>
>To: ctbirds at lists.ctbirding.org
>Subject: [CT Birds] West Hartford
>Message-ID: <40759A85-B9CE-47C1-B94B-236D9EC60AD6 at gmail.com>
>Content-Type: text/plain;	charset=US-ASCII;	format=flowed;	delsp=yes
>
>
>
>
>
>Paul Desjardins
>Phone: (860) 623-3696
>paul.desjardins2 at gmail.com
>
>While conducting the summer bird count this morning at the reservoir  
>along route 44 had Blue Headed Vireo, Brown Creeper and
>Hooded Warbler.
>
>
>
>
>
>------------------------------
>
>Message: 5
>Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2010 14:51:55 -0700 (PDT)
>From: Carrier Graphics <carriergraphics at sbcglobal.net>
>To: ctbirds at lists.ctbirding.org
>Subject: [CT Birds] Amazing Mulberry tree
>Message-ID: <737323.68128.qm at web81803.mail.mud.yahoo.com>
>Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
>
>Have had much time this year in the yard keeping an eye out for 
>whats happening daily. I planted 7 years ago a Mulberry tree. It is
> now 20 feet high and this spring is just dripping with berries.
>So here is my surprising list of birds seen so far feeding from this tree.
>
>
>Baltimore Oriole
>S Tanager
>Cedar Waxwing - 6 often
>Kingbird
>Starling
>Wood thrush
>Hermit Thrush
>Robin - often
>Catbird- more than often
>Bluebird
>House finch - the whole family
>Purple finch - pair
>Goldfinch - never knew they ate berries
>Red-wing Blackbird
>Cardinal
>Rose-breasted Grosbeak
>Towhee
>Bluejay - often, and feeding young
>Blue headed Vireo - Once in April when berries were green!
>Great crested Flycatcher - I think it ate a berry, not certain.
>Yellow-bellied Sapsucker - often in tree.
>
>Other species have been in tree, but haven't seen them
> in the act of eating berries. That's 21species!
>
>My record species counted in my Service berry tree over
>25 years of counting is 15 species, and this Mulberry tree
>in just one year has passed that count handily. If you want 
>to attract birds to your yard, I suggest first planting a Mulberry tree!
>
>Paul Carrier - Harwinton
>
>
>------------------------------
>
>Message: 6
>Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2010 16:48:47 -0700 (PDT)
>From: Glenn Williams <gswilliams9 at yahoo.com>
>To: ctbirds at lists.ctbirding.org, Paul Desjardins
>	<paul.desjardins2 at gmail.com>
>Subject: Re: [CT Birds] Concerning Red Headed Woodpecker
>Message-ID: <851686.12102.qm at web53407.mail.re2.yahoo.com>
>Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
>
>Missed the original email on this, but Phil Rusch, Maggie Jones, and I saw the Red-headed Woodpecker the same day as the COA Gull Workshop, February 19th.
>
>Glenn Williams
>Mystic
>
>--- On Sat, 6/12/10, Paul Desjardins <paul.desjardins2 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> From: Paul Desjardins <paul.desjardins2 at gmail.com>
>> Subject: [CT Birds] Concerning Red Headed Woodpecker
>> To: ctbirds at lists.ctbirding.org
>> Date: Saturday, June 12, 2010, 5:19 PM
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> Paul Desjardins
>> Phone: (860) 623-3696
>> paul.desjardins2 at gmail.com
>> 
>> The last time i observed the Red Headed Woodpecker at
>> Northwest Park was on January 17th.
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> _______________________________________________
>> This list is provided by the Connecticut Ornithological
>> Association (COA) for the discussion of birds and birding in
>> Connecticut.
>> For subscription information visit http://lists.ctbirding.org/mailman/listinfo/ctbirds_lists.ctbirding.org
>> 
>
>
>      
>
>
>
>------------------------------
>
>Message: 7
>Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2010 10:31:32 GMT
>From: "wingsct at juno.com" <wingsct at juno.com>
>To: ctbirds at lists.ctbirding.org
>Subject: [CT Birds] Purple Martins
>Message-ID: <20100613.063132.9463.1 at webmail09.dca.untd.com>
>Content-Type: text/plain; charset=windows-1252
>
>>From Meredith Sampson:
>6/12 - Riverside, private yard - while doing summer bird count:  10 adult PURPLE MARTINS
>                   with 5 newborn hatchlings, and many eggs yet to hatch.  Planning on adding
>                   another pole with gourds at this site, to expand the colony. 
>
>
>------------------------------
>
>Message: 8
>Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2010 05:54:18 -0700 (PDT)
>From: John Ogren <northernrail at comcast.net>
>To: ctbirds at lists.ctbirding.org
>Subject: [CT Birds] Black Skimmer
>Message-ID: <2779.73456.qm at web80404.mail.mud.yahoo.com>
>Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
>
>from John Ogren
>6/13- Old Saybrook, Harvey's Beach- one BLACK SKIMMER skimming about 30-50 feet from me while I was tagging Horseshoe Crabs for Project Limulus at 8 AM.
>
>------------------------------
>
>Message: 9
>Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2010 10:23:52 -0400
>From: <jayne.amico at cox.net>
>To: Carrier Graphics <carriergraphics at sbcglobal.net>,
>	ctbirds at lists.ctbirding.org
>Subject: Re: [CT Birds] Amazing Mulberry tree
>Message-ID: <20100613102352.2FU8J.715828.imail at eastrmwml37>
>Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8
>
>CT Birders -
>
> You got that right Paul! 
>
>IMO mulberry trees are the number one best tree for attracting birds and other wildlife!  The sanctuary has several very mature trees that are teeming with activity right now.
>--
>Jayne
>
>
>Jayne Amico
>Southington, CT
>www.mvssanctuary.org
>
>---- Carrier Graphics <carriergraphics at sbcglobal.net> wrote: 
>> Have had much time this year in the yard keeping an eye out for 
>> whats happening daily. I planted 7 years ago a Mulberry tree. It is
>>  now 20 feet high and this spring is just dripping with berries.
>> So here is my surprising list of birds seen so far feeding from this tree.
>> 
>> 
>> Baltimore Oriole
>> S Tanager
>> Cedar Waxwing - 6 often
>> Kingbird
>> Starling
>> Wood thrush
>> Hermit Thrush
>> Robin - often
>> Catbird- more than often
>> Bluebird
>> House finch - the whole family
>> Purple finch - pair
>> Goldfinch - never knew they ate berries
>> Red-wing Blackbird
>> Cardinal
>> Rose-breasted Grosbeak
>> Towhee
>> Bluejay - often, and feeding young
>> Blue headed Vireo - Once in April when berries were green!
>> Great crested Flycatcher - I think it ate a berry, not certain.
>> Yellow-bellied Sapsucker - often in tree.
>> 
>> Other species have been in tree, but haven't seen them
>>  in the act of eating berries. That's 21species!
>> 
>> My record species counted in my Service berry tree over
>> 25 years of counting is 15 species, and this Mulberry tree
>> in just one year has passed that count handily. If you want 
>> to attract birds to your yard, I suggest first planting a Mulberry tree!
>> 
>> Paul Carrier - Harwinton
>> _______________________________________________
>> This list is provided by the Connecticut Ornithological Association (COA) for the discussion of birds and birding in Connecticut.
>> For subscription information visit http://lists.ctbirding.org/mailman/listinfo/ctbirds_lists.ctbirding.org
>
>
>
>
>------------------------------
>
>Message: 10
>Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2010 12:23:30 -0400 (GMT-04:00)
>From: martin swanhall <mswanhall at earthlink.net>
>To: CT Birds <ctbirds at lists.ctbirding.org>
>Subject: [CT Birds] starlings
>Message-ID:
>	<3105168.1276446210584.JavaMail.root at elwamui-little.atl.sa.earthlink.net>
>	
>Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
>
>been seeing a lot more starlings this year in yard than I have in all my years living here.  Using same food in feeders but many more starlings
>
>Marty from Woodbury
>
>
>
>
>
>------------------------------
>
>Message: 11
>Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2010 09:58:11 -0700 (PDT)
>From: Roy Harvey <rmharvey at snet.net>
>To: ctbirds at lists.ctbirding.org
>Subject: [CT Birds] Upland Sandpipers, etc.
>Message-ID: <186600.79514.qm at web81501.mail.mud.yahoo.com>
>Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
>
>Just had a call from Frank Gallo.
>
> From Frank Gallo:
>06/12/10 - Milford, Milford Pt -- 4 Brant (sound side), 1 Greater Scaup (marsh side).
>12/13/10 - East Hartford, Rentschler Field -- 3 Upland Sandpipers, 3 Grasshopper Sparrows, 2 Field Sparrows, 1 Eastern Meadowlark, 1 Bobolink, 2 American Kestrel.
>
>
>Roy Harvey
>Beacon Falls, CT
>
>
>
>------------------------------
>
>_______________________________________________
>This list is provided by the Connecticut Ornithological Association (COA) for the discussion of birds and birding in Connecticut.
>For subscription information visit http://lists.ctbirding.org/mailman/listinfo/ctbirds_lists.ctbirding.org
>
>End of CTBirds Digest, Vol 1204, Issue 1
>****************************************





More information about the CTBirds mailing list