[CT Birds] mulberry trees

Robert Maleski maleski at msn.com
Mon Jun 14 04:01:49 EDT 2010

I have a small mulberry tree that for the first time this year has lots of berries, but not yet ripe.  Last year I saw a wood thrush in the tree.  There are also mulberries at the beginning of the walk along the Connecticut River in Suffield, and I have seen Orioles and Waxwings here.  I believe both are Red Mulberries.

According to what I found on line, they are mainly in the eastern U.S.

The Red Mulberry grows well in rich, moist soil, and usually is found in hardwood forests of bottomlands and foothills. Of the mulberry trees included in this program this is the only one that is native to North America. It grows throughout most of the eastern United States, except for the most northern parts, and westward to Kansas, Oklahoma and Texas. The Red Mulberry is widespread in Ohio, but is infrequent in the north-central part of the state.