[CT Birds] Summer Bird Count - Old Greenwich/Riverside/part of Stamford

wingsct at juno.com wingsct at juno.com
Mon Jun 14 07:09:51 EDT 2010

An interesting summer bird count with some notably missing species,
some in sadly low numbers, and some nice surprises.  Our area covers
all of Old Greenwich, Riverside and the Waterside part of Stamford, with
an interesting mix of habitats.
Thanks to the very diligent efforts of our team:  Cynthia Ehlinger,
Debby Ethridge and moi, we found 74 species.
Highlights:

>From Meredith Sampson:
6/12-13 - Old Greenwich/Riverside/Waterside (Stamford) -- 3 LONG-TAILED DUCKS,
                 YELLOW-CROWNED NIGHT HERON, 15 PURPLE MARTINS, 5 ORCHARD
                 ORIOLES, MARSH WREN.

Also:
32 Chimney Swifts (encouraging number)
     Eastern Wood Pewee
14 Wood Thrush (an exceptionally high number for our area)
  6 American Oystercatchers (also exceptional)
     White-eyed Vireo
     Red-eyed Vireo
     Eastern Kingbird
 15 Osprey
  6 Green Herons (4 sighted at one little pond in Riverside!)
Notably very low in numbers were Common Yellowthroat with only one definite bird.
American Crow was also very low with only 11.

Thankfully, the weather cooperated and the rain held off.  It was a challenging
(for finding birds, as many weren't singing) but very enjoyable weekend.

Meredith Sampson
Old Greenwich