[CT Birds] Boston Hollow, Ashford, 6/14/10, and suspicion confirmed.

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Mon Jun 14 20:23:40 EDT 2010

Still  lots of activity in Boston Hollow, though not as  much as a couple
of weeks ago.  Although I had about decided I  must have heard
Black-throated Blue Warblers and not Ceruleans, Today I heard  two Ceruleans and SAW 1.
They were near the northwest end of  Barclay Mill road, where the forest has
been cut on the right side of the road  (going north), with only a small
number of mature white pines left  standing.  That is the same area where
Chestnut-sided and  Magnolia Warblers are relatively abundant.  However, the
Ceruleans were  singing in the dense, fairly mature, woods on the left of the
road.  This  spot is probably 2 miles by road from Boston Hollow proper,
where I heard the  original birds.  (I subsequently discovered that at least one
of them was,  in fact, a BTB).  Draw your own conclusions from that.
Amazingly, I spotted a Barred Owl in the Hollow today for the  3rd time in
the last 2 weeks.  In each case, the bird just appeared flying  through the
trees in front of me, presumably disturbed by my presence.  I  assume it is
the same bird each time, but today it was about half a mile from  the area
where I had seen it before.
Once again, I had 3 singing Winter Wrens, but today 1  was on Barclay Mill,
not in Boston Hollow proper.  It was at the point  north of the mill ponds
where a stream goes under the dirt road through 2 large  black pipes, just
around a sharp curve, about 200 yards before the road becomes  paved.
Today's list:

Location:     Boston Hollow/Barclay Mill
Observation  date:     6/14/10
Number of species:      49

Turkey Vulture     6
Barred Owl      1