[CT Birds] Probable Northern Goshawk

Bill Asteriades Asterbunch at cox.net
Tue Jun 15 18:57:46 EDT 2010

While driving home from work today, I saw a large raptor flying ahead on
route 17 in Glastonbury 70 feet or so from the ground.  Based on the size, I
initially thought it was a Red-tailed Hawk.  However, as I approached the
bird it was a large accipiter with a stiff and powerful wing beat, much
larger than a Coopers Hawk.  It looked good for a Northern Goshawk based on
the size and wing speed, as best as I could tell driving  Birders in the
Glastonbury vicinity may want to keep an eye out; it could be breeding in
the area.

>From Bill Asteriades:
6/15/10 - Glastonbury, Route 17 - 1 probable NORTHERN GOSHAWK