[CT Birds] Cockenoe Island Least Terns

lpflynn at optonline.net lpflynn at optonline.net
Tue Jun 15 19:54:35 EDT 2010

Cockenoe Island, Westport, CT
The LEAST TERN nesting colony on this island suffered a big hit during todays early morning high tide.
Most of  the thirty five or so nest have been wipe out by the very high new moon tide.
Only five remaining nest were counted today.
The fifty or so COMMON TERN nest are doing fine, as they tend to nest a few inches higher then the Least Terns.
We conducted a Breeding Bird Survey of the island chain today, with CT DEP and CT Audubon, I hope to have those numbers up very soon. They numbers were healthy.

Larry Flynn