[CT Birds] FYI: Brookline Bird Club Pelagic Trip

Mardi Dickinson mardi1 at optonline.net
Thu Jun 17 18:34:41 EDT 2010

Towny and I are maybe going on this trip too. It should be a good trip.

We are also signed up for another Overnight Pelagic Trip out of RI to
Block Canyon and Shelf Edge South of RI. With Carlos Pedro in Aug.

Info below.

For the second year I am organizing a dedicated pelagic trip to Block
Canyon
and the shelf edge south of RI. I have tentatively reserved August 23
th on the
'Lady Frances' out of Galilee. This boat is the newest and fastest
boat of the
Frances Fleet.

The boat would depart on Monday, Aug. 23th at 10 PM and return
on the 24th at 10 pm.

There are bunks onboard for 45 passengers but this trip will be
limited to
38.The idea would be to sleep on the way and wake up at dawn on the
shelf edge
90 miles out , bird until 3 PM and return to port. There is a full
Galley and
food and drink can be bought or you can bring your own. The cost of
the trip if
we can get 38 birders will be $135 each.

This trip could present a great opportunity to possibly see some of
the rarer
visitors to RI waters such as Audobon's Shearwater, Bridled and Arctic
Tern,
South Polar Skua, Jaegers, White-faced and Leech's Storm-petrels and
possibly a
first RI record Band-rumped Storm-petrel. Band-rumps have been
regularly seen
over the past few years on August Mass. trips to the canyons south of
Nantucket.

If you are interested please e-mail me as soon as possible. Payment
would be
do in early July.

Further info on the 'Lady Frances' can be obtained on the 'FRANCES
FLEET'
website.

Carlos Pedro
dcpedro at cox.net