[CT Birds] Ebbs Corner, Suffield

Roy Harvey rmharvey at snet.net
Sat Jun 19 11:36:28 EDT 2010

> In my opinion, the hope for
> Upland Sandpiper and Grasshopper Sparrow conservation in
> Connecticut begins and ends over the fence at Bradley
> International Airport.

If so, for Upland Sandpipers at least it is even worse than you describe.  Everything I have heard says that Bradley Airport is a "population sink" for Uplands.  A population sink is defined as "A breeding group that does not produce enough offspring to maintain itself in coming years without immigrants from other populations."  (The definition was attributed to Sibley, not sure which one.)

The theory, as I have heard it, was that Rentschler (as it used to be, at least) was a viable breeding area with a sufficient population to maintain itself and even produce more birds than it could support.  Bradley, with a population too small to sustain itself, was a sink where some of the excess from Rentschler could find breeding habitat.  I can't remember where I heard this, unfortunately.

Roy Harvey
Beacon Falls, CT