[CT Birds] Grassland Birds

Jan Collins jgcollins at cox.net
Sat Jun 19 15:02:03 EDT 2010

6/19  8 AM   Spent a couple nice hours at the Xmas tree farm/grassland
habitat on Ninth District Rd. in Somers this morn.  Found 2 KESTRELS
hovering and hunting but not returning to their nestbox so I assumed their 5
young had fledged.  That was confirmed when 3 of them flushed from their
"hiding" spot under only a foot tall Xmas tree about 10 feet in front of me!
Had all 3 mimics, 2 Mockingbirds, 2 BROWN THRASHER, and 1 Catbird.  5
Sparrow species including heard 1 GRASSHOPPER SPARROW, and saw and heard 4
Savannah, several Chipping, 1 House, and 2 Field.   21 species total.

Also yesterday while paddling the Rainbow Reservoir on the Farmington River
in Windsor with Patrice Favreau, we discovered approximately 30 Turkey
Vultures hanging out and sunning themselves in the back yard of a house
along the water with 2 BLACK VULTURES among them.  We paddled withing 20
feet of them and got up close and personal looks at the differences in the 2
species.  Impressive gathering!

Jan in Somers