[CT Birds] Stratford Long Beach closed

Scott Kruitbosch skruitbosch at ctaudubon.org
Sun Jun 20 13:34:31 EDT 2010

For those unaware of the fire at Long Beach on Friday, you can read about it and Mayor Harkins' subsequent comments here: http://www.ctpost.com/news/article/Fire-destroys-vacant-Long-Beach-cottage-529208.php

I spoke to police officers and detectives over the last couple of days as they monitored everything while ticketing and arresting people. You cannot go beyond the USFWS gate that was recently installed at the end of the parking lot. The only area accessible is the beach in front of the road and parking lot. Again, you cannot even go on the upland area just beyond the parking lot or you will be ticketed. This was being strictly enforced today. Anything that is not in the tidal zone is now essentially locked down.The cottage area is NOT the only off-limits zone. Anyone who does enter the cottage area is being arrested. While this is obviously disappointing to many of you, and the vehicular traffic on the beach is unfortunate, this will hopefully lead to less foot traffic for the Piping Plovers and Least Terns. We can be happy about that much. I also want to commend the Stratford Police Department, especially as a Stratford resident. They are doing what they have been told they must for now, and every officer and detective I have spoken to has been at least relatively helpful. They do not like the situation any more than we do, and they are attempting to stay off the beach and away from the birds as much as possible. Please mind these changes if you come down to Stratford.

Scott Kruitbosch
Conservation Technician
Connecticut Audubon Society
2325 Burr St.