[CT Birds] Wildlfe Canoe Tours of Wheeler Saltmarsh - Milford Point

peeplo at aol.com peeplo at aol.com
Mon Jun 21 16:50:42 EDT 2010

Wildlife Canoe Tours of the Wheeler Saltmarsh
We kicked off our popular wildlife canoe tours of the Wheeler Saltmarsh adjacent to the Connecticut Audubon Society Coastal Center at Milford Point, Saturday, June 12. It was a relaxing and rewarding trip with some exciting sightings, including 11 adult Yellow-crowned Night-Herons, 5 Glossy Ibis, more than 15 Great and Snowy Egrets, 8 Willet, 4 American Oystercatchers, 4 Purple Martins, a few Seaside and Saltmarsh Sparrows, and we were serenaded by many Marsh Wrens, and a Clapper Rail. Our next Canoe Tour is this Saturday, June 26, from 10:30 a.m. - 1 p.m.  (See our webpage: www.ctaudubon.org, under Coastal Center, for complete tour listings. Canoe photos are also posted on our blog.)  Call Louise at 203-878-7440 to register.  Spaces are limited. Call today. See you soon. Frank Gallo

Join us on a guided canoe tour of the Charles Wheeler Salt Marsh. Steeped in local history, the Marsh offers an abundance of birds and other wildlife, beautiful vistas and a chance to paddle and relax. Bring water and wear shoes that can get wet. Contact the Coastal Center for more information. Trip routes are subject to change due to weather. Wind may cause trips to be canceled, even on sunny days; please call 1 hour to 90 minutes in advance for trip status. Advance registration required. Sign up early for these popular tours! See our webpage for August and September dates, and inquire about additional tour dates in October.
Canoe Trips Schedule:
Sat., June 26, 10:30 a.m.-1 p.m.
Sat., July 10, 9:15-11:45 a.m.
Sat., July 17, 3:15-5:45 p.m.
Sat., July 24, 9:30 a.m.-noon.
Sun., July 25, 10 a.m.-12:30 p.m.
Sat., July 31, 2-4:30 p.m.
Fees using our canoes:
CAS Members: $25/person, $65/canoe (up to 3 people); Non-members: $35/person, $95/canoe.
Fees using your own canoe or kayak: $19 CAS Members, $29 Non-members.

Summer Camps
Note: If your child is interested in nature, now is the perfect time to register he/she in one of our exciting summer camp sessions. There are beachside programs for ages 3 to 15. Older kids have the opportunity to travel to other wildlife-rich sites around the state, and can even enjoy an overnight stay complete with S'mores and other campfire fun. See the Coastal Center's webpage: www.ctaudubon.org for details.