[CT Birds] Palmer Neck Rd and Barn Island, Stonington

Sailcarm at aol.com Sailcarm at aol.com
Mon Jun 21 21:13:44 EDT 2010

6/21 - Thanks to advice from Bob Dewire on where to see bobolinks locally,
I went over to Stonington this morning and birded Palmer Neck Rd and just
the  first impoundment at Barn Island before having to leave for an
appointment.

 highlights from Palmer Neck Rd:

BOBOLINKS (in the field to the right of "the castle")
BROWN THRASHER
WHITE-EYED VIREO
redstart
veery
e. towhee
house wren
yellow warbler
juv. downy woodpecker

Barn Island first impoundment only:

WHITE-EYED VIREO (just as you enter the path)
redstart
yellow warbler
common yellowthroat
SEASIDE SPARROW
SALTMARSH SPARROW
1 yellowlegs (very hazy distant look thru scope, so not sure if greater or
lesser)
willet
small flock of glossy ibis
green heron
great egret
least tern
osprey

yard birds:  The two red-shouldered hawk chicks from the nest in  our yard
fledged about two weeks ago.  We were gone most of last  week and have
returned home to a chorus of red-shouldered hawk cries in the  skies above us all
day long.  The calls have to compete with the constant  noise of several
house wrens and Carolina wrens nesting in our yard  and the two neighboring
yards. They never stop!  Very territorial.   These birds have attitude!

Carolyn Cimino
Waterford