[CT Birds] Piping Plovers in Great Meadows/Brant

Scott Kruitbosch kbosch at gmail.com
Tue Jun 22 18:15:58 EDT 2010

Something we are always watching for is how the Piping Plovers use the Great
Meadows Marsh side of Long Beach in Stratford. Today I watched two of them
fly from the marsh side over the USFWS road to the cottages to return to the
beach. I also found another that was still in the marsh. I took photos and a
short video as proof. I put them up on the blog along with pictures of a
single Brant I also found there along with Diamondback Terrapins:
http://ctaudubon.blogspot.com/. The Piping Plover is also displaying it's
behavior of hiding in a depression in the ground. Cross your fingers that
this will not happen on the road. The Diamondback Terrapins are still trying
to lay eggs on the "beach" despite the fact it has the road covering over it
that is being used by the Stratford police and fire department.

Scott Kruitbosch
Stratford, CT
Connecticut Audubon Society