[CT Birds] Westport Night-herons

Tina and Peter Green petermgreen at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 27 14:01:15 EDT 2010

6/27 - Westport -Compo Cove/Old Mill Beach -75+ BLACK-CROWNED NIGHT-HERONS,many GREAT & SNOWY EGRETS,1 First Summer LAUGHING GULL,COMMON & LEAST TERNS feeding on sand eels

              Grays Creek/Longshore Park - 2 adult YELLOW-CROWNED NIGHT-HERONS

          Southport-Southport Beach-1 adult breeding LAUGHING GULL,25+ BLACK-CROWNED NIGHT-HERONS

      Black-crowned Night-herons were the "bird of the day".The group at Old Mill Beach was the largest number in one small area that I have seen in the last three years.I estimate seeing a total of 150+ adult birds in all the different locations I checked this morning in the Westport area and that's being conservative.These birds appear to be doing especially well this year.At the same time,I have not seen as many Little Blue Herons in Westport compared to last year.

Tina Green

Westport