[CT Birds] Problem Child Downy--Need Advice

Barbara Garrett barbaragarrett at optonline.net
Sun Jun 27 18:11:59 EDT 2010

Hi everyone,

I have a young downy who has not learned how to use the sunflower seed feeder (as many do) and is raiding my hummingbird feeder constantly.

My concern is that he'll introduce bacteria through his beak into the hummingbird solution.  I have spent an hour just now trying to scare him away, and no matter what I do, he returns.  I doubt that taking the hummers' feeder down for a few days will work, as my feeders are congregation areas for many downy's as well as other usual suspects.

If I do take the hummer feeder down, will my hummers return?  I have three, that I believe is a family since there is one make, one female and a juvenile.

Any ideas of what to do?

Barbara
north Stamford