[CT Birds] Boston Hollow last week

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Sun Jun 27 21:16:39 EDT 2010

The bird song has died down to a great degree now compared to 2  or 3 weeks
ago, but some species are still quite vocal, and some still sing
occasionally.  It seems that every week I find birds which are firsts for  me in the
area, although not lifers.  This week  had  a  Yellow-billed Cuckoo calling
on Tuesday, and heard his click  calls again on Friday.  Two Broad-winged
Hawks  and 2 Purple  Finches on Tuesday as well.  Also a Red-shouldered Hawk
on Wednesday and a  whole family of Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers on Friday,
adults and at least 2  fledglings.  I was watching the Sapsuckers as they seemed
to keep returning  to a particular tree.  It had lots of rows of sap wells,
and I assumed  it was the nest tree.  The 2 juvies pretty much hung around
there.  I saw a very small bird flying around that tree, I assumed  maybe
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, but then 1 of the juvies started chasing it, and  they
went round and round.   Little one did not want to leave.  I  finally got
my scope out and was able to see that the little bird was a  Hummer!
Lightbulb on.  The hummer was there for the sap, and the tree  was the FOOD tree
for the YBSA, not the nest tree!   Hummer finally  left, but I'm sure she will
be back, way up 60 feet or so.  On  Thursday I saw 3 Blackburnian Warblers
within 5 minutes, and finally tracked  down a male Yellow-rump.  I had
assumed that the YRWA would nest there, but  I haven't seen any for at least a
couple of weeks, so I decided to look for them  - way out at the end of Barlow
Mill Road, where I had seen them in the evergreen  groves.  As I got to
that area, 2 tiny birds whizzed across the road in  front of me and into the
grass below a bush.  I pulled over and they took  off again for the trees, but
I followed one and was able to get my bins on  it.  It was a male
Blackburnian, so they were a pair.  I went up the  road a little farther an pulled
over by a grove of hemlocks.  I played the  Yellow-rump song, and immediately
three birds showed up, first a chipping  sparrow, then a male Blackburnian,
and finally - a gorgeous male  Yellow-Rump!   I heard lots in that grove in
the spring, so I am sure  that's a nesting area for them.  Black-throated
Greens, Magnolias, and  Chestnut sided Warblers still quite vocal,  And lots
of very noisy  Ovenbirds and Common Yellowthroats.  Some Canadas still to be
heard  and occasional Waterthrushes.  Others only rarely  now.
I have a new toy to play with now, a sound recorder,  and I have been
spending most of my time trying to learn to use it this  week.  I have a long
ways to go, but its nice to be able to record a bird  you have heard,
especially if you are not sure what it is.  Sapsuckers can  be seen HERE: