[CT Birds] Emergency - Help needed to protect Plover and Tern nesting areas this weekend!

Roy Harvey rmharvey at snet.net
Thu Jul 1 18:11:34 EDT 2010

I'm passing this along for Patrick Comins, who was forwarding it to the list.  I am afraid the attached map referred to in the message has been lost in the transfers.

Roy Harvey
Beacon Falls, CT

Dear birders:
Volunteers are needed to help protect the important tern and plover colony at Sandy Point in Stonington over the weekend.  Please respond to Wendy Green, as I am on the road and have limited connectivity.  Thank you!

Patrick Comins

Dear Friends,

USFWS needs help this weekend making sure that the July 4th holiday is a safe one for the Piping Plovers and Least Terns nesting at Sandy Point in Stonington.  If you have access to a boat – kayak, canoe or small motor boat – and can spare a few hours, you can help ensure that the birds and chicks on Sandy Point enjoy Independence Day!

Help is needed:

4-8pm on Friday
7-11am Saturday, Sunday, and Monday
4-8 pm on Saturday, Sunday, and Monday

PLEASE RESPOND TO: Wendy Green at USFWS to let her know your availability. Her contact information is below. PLEASE CC me on your email so I know you have responded.

HERE IS HOW YOU CAN HELP:

Put in kayaks or boats from the Barn Island boat ramp off Route 1.  Proceed a little east and then south to Sandy Point (10 minutes by boat).  The main area to focus on is mid-island to the east end towards Napatree.  As you approach the island you will see the large overwash with the tern colony.  Most activity is by the tern colony, but there are also unfledged plovers and oystercatchers in this area.  There are also unfleged plover chicks at the roped area on the east end of the island.

It is suggested that you set up on either side of the roped area at the tern colony (watch for sandbars as you approach) and just keep an eye on people. This is where many boaters typically land with dogs, or try to build bonfires, set off fireworks or camp overnight.  Typically some sort of presence goes a long way in deterring these activities.

If someone is entering the area, approach them from an educational standpoint.  DO NOT attempt any law enforcement-type duties.  If anyone gets hostile, back away as you personal safety is our first and foremost concern!  If anyone is threatening and engaging in disruptive behavior (i.e. dog running through the roped area) try to document the activity and any details from a safe distance.  Also, a boat number can be helpful for USFWS law enforcement officers to follow up with afterwards.  If the situation needs immediate attention, you can call 911 or the Coast Guard.

I've attached a map of the area.
  attachment removed but available from Wendy
Thanks and please let Wendy or me know if you have any other questions.  Wendy will also be available by cell phone over the weekend.

Sparkle, sparkle,

Sandy Breslin
Director of Governmental Affairs
Audubon Connecticut
185 East Flat Hill Road
Southbury, CT 06488
(203) 264-5098 x307 phone
(203) 264-6332 fax
(203) 804-0488 cell

Wendy Green
Wildlife Biologist, SNEP Coastal Program
50 Bend Road, Charlestown, RI 02813
401-364-9124 x37
(c) 401-323-3914
(f) 401-364-0170