[CT Birds] Winter Wrens - Cheshire

Steve Mayo rsdmayo at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jul 3 11:43:37 EDT 2010

I went for a very brief walk south on the Quinnipiac Train off Rte 42.  I had a Winter Wren just a few steps to the west of Nettleton's Ravine in the spicebush/skunk cabage/hemlocks.  There was another Troglodytes troglodytes (I love that Old World Name - 'Reminds me of the HG Wells classic, The Time Machine) further down the ravine in the hemlocks to the west.  There were the usuals - Veery, Scarlet Tan, BT Green Warbler, BC Chickadee, etc. - no sign of the Ravens present in the Spring.

What a beautiful song.  It's amazing; Winter Wrens sound just like the complex, melodic whistles of Patrick Dugan.

Steve Mayo
Bethany