[CT Birds] Winter Wrens

Dennis Varza dennisvz at optonline.net
Sat Jul 3 23:53:30 EDT 2010

Just to add more wren trivia.

the title winter king comes from an old folk tale that goes roughly
as follows:

One day the birds got together to decide who would be King. They
decided that the bird that flew the highest would be King. So, all
the birds take off and eventually each drops out at different
elevation. At last the the eagle is alone in the sky and just as he
is about to declare himself king, the wren pops out of the eagle's
back where he was hiding and flies higher than the eagle and becomes
King.

For the life of me, I don't know were I heard this but it stuck.

Dennis Varza
Fairfield