[CT Birds] Winter Wrens

Tammy Eustis teustis at killingworthlibrary.org
Sun Jul 4 18:38:20 EDT 2010

And for those who want to read the full story on this, there's a fascinating book called Hunting the Wren by Elizabeth Atwood Lawrence. It focuses on the St. Stephen's Day wren hunts that used to take place in the British Isles. It includes much of the mythology surrounding wrens, including Dennis's story below about the wren as King of the Birds. From what I remember of my reading, the people of the Isles used to refer to any small birds as "wrens" until ornithologists were able to distinguish between the species. So one such group of birds - once they were identified as from a different taxonomic family - became known as regulidae ("petty king" or "kinglet"). A direct reference to their previous mistaken identity as King of the Birds.
That's the story, anyway, and it's an interesting one. Just 2 cents from a librarian on a long weekend!
:-) Tammy Eustis, Chester