[CT Birds] Sandhill Crane in East Killingly

Nick Bonomo nbonomo at gmail.com
Sun Jul 4 20:46:18 EDT 2010

Hi all,

Bob Taber sent the following report of a Sandhill Crane in East
Killingly, with photos, seen on June 28. The season, plus what sounds
like two birds together in recent years, suggests that a breeding
attempt may be underway. It will be interesting to see what develops!

"The crane was seen and pictures taken in East Killingly, Ct.  There
are marshes and hills along Route 101 near the Rhode Island State
Line.  I have actually seen birds like this last year but didn't get
close enough to I.D. them.  I only saw them on the wing last year.
Two years ago a neighbor saw two large birds like these and asked if I
knew what they were'  (I didn't actually see them myself two years
ago).  I showed the photos to my neighbor and he said that they looked
like what he saw in 2008. We think they are here for the third year"

Thanks Bob!

Nick Bonomo
Wallingford, CT
http://shorebirder.blogspot.com/