[CT Birds] drought & birds

Carrier Graphics carriergraphics at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jul 6 11:46:06 EDT 2010

As we go through this heat wave, we are also experiencing a real serious drought as well. How is this effecting birds?

I have a pair of Robins nesting in yard. These birds have been looking strange for awhile. They seem to be friendlier than they should be. I see them often come very close to me when I am watering the plants.
I finallyfigured it out. These birds are suffering from the drought!

When we are in a drought, the water table and available moisture goes deeper, (thus my empty pond) leaving the top most soils dry, or drier than average. For Robins, who depend on earth worms for a majority of their diet, and to feed young, its become sparse and much more difficult to find worms in the top most layers of soil. Thus the gathering of Robins near me when I am watering plants.

Also, My vegetable garden is being visited at night by my local Skunk, who is rooting large deep holes in the soils I just watered for grubs and worms. The worse the drought, the deeper the holes, and some are over a foot deep! Anyone else seeing these signs of drought and wildlife?

I wish them all luck in their constant fight for survival.

Paul Carrier - Harwinton, CT