[CT Birds] drought & birds

Tammy Eustis teustis at killingworthlibrary.org
Tue Jul 6 13:47:39 EDT 2010

I have a summer job watering gardens for friends, which basically involves setting up sprinklers and moving them around (cushy job!). I've noticed this summer that the birds (robins, sparrows, flycatchers, hummingbirds) are much more present when I'm there, purposefully planting themselves under the spray to bathe and forage. The hummers are the most remarkable, sitting on rosebush leaves and using them as miniature birdbaths!
At home, we have 3 stone birdbaths that I clean and fill at least twice a day, and I can tell from the "detritus" that they're getting a lot more usage this summer. (And now we have a "feral chicken" in the yard - an ameraucana that ran away from our neighbors and decided that it prefers our yard and woods to any other option. She roosts in our dogwoods at night and makes the birdbath her first stop in the morning.)
I'm sure more evidence of drought-related behavior will crop up as this week wears on.
- Tammy Eustis, Chester