[CT Birds] Busy weekend in Willimantic backyard...

Brian Hiller mudbat13 at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 7 10:44:25 EDT 2010

Sorry for the belated nature of this holiday weekend update.

Friday July 2 was apparently feed your young day at our house with Chickadees, Tufted titmice, House Wrens, Red-bellied woodpeckers, Baltimore Orioles, White-breasted Nuthatches, and of course House Sparrows all feeding fledglings on our 100 x 60 foot lot.

As a result of much effort put into flowering plants this year we have had a vertiable explosion of hummingbirds in our yard.  As many as 4 different hummers using flowers and feeders throughout the day each day.  Saturday saw 3 different females and our first male RT Hummers visiting all day.

Sunday we had a pair of juvie Eastern Wood Pewees foraging along the fenceline for several hours and providing numerous close-ups.  Although I first assumed they were Eastern Phoebes, they both had two distinct buffy-colored wing bars and although they occasionally flicked their tails it wasn't the constant tail flicking you expect from Phoebes.  This is the first house/yard record for this species.  Later in the afternoon a Pileated woodpecker, also a new yard record, flew overhead.

The short version:

Friday July 2, 2010

BAOR 4  (2 adults feeding 2 young)

HOWR 2 adults feeding young in front house

WBNH 2 (1 adult feeding 1 young)

BCCH  6 (2 adults feeding 4 young)

TUTI  5 (2 adults feeding 3 young)

HOSP  11 (4 adults feeding 7 young)

RBWO  2 (1 adult feeding 1 young)

TUVU  13

CHSW  11

Sunday July 4, 2010

EWPeewee 2 (both young)

RUTH  4  (3 females, 1 male)

HOWR 3 (2 feeding young, 1 calling elsewhere)

CAWR 1 calling

Black and White warbler 1 feeding on oak tree at 2 pm

Pileated Woodpecker 1 flyover

BAOR 1 calling

Brian Hiller

Willimantic, CT