[CT Birds] Puffin Eggs

Roy Harvey rmharvey at snet.net
Thu Jul 8 14:19:36 EDT 2010

I don't think it is an issue.

The chef lives in Denmark, and the article mentions puffin eggs coming from Iceland.  As the article linked below says, "It is estimated that around 3 million pairs breed in Iceland each year – that´s 6 million puffins but only 70% of the total are breeding birds. So the total population of puffins in Iceland is between 8 and 10 million birds."  The human population of Iceland is around 318,000 and I suspect puffin eggs have been on the menu there for as long as there have been people in Iceland.

Roy Harvey
Beacon Falls, CT