[CT Birds] Flowers attracting our hummingbirds in Willimantic...

Brian Hiller mudbat13 at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 8 15:33:47 EDT 2010

Judy Moore wondered what types of flowers we have in our yard that have been attracting and holding a higher than usual number of hummingbirds this year and here is what my wife, whose efforts in the garden are responsible for the attractiveness, had to say;
they seemed to particularly love the bee balm [monarda] two varieties- pink and red

i thik the very large petunias didn't hurt either, especially for getting the yard noticed.

they also really liked the fuschias. we have the traditional variety, but also the red trumpet type.

they apparently like the red/white/purple salvia [have yet to find ours, but once they do, they'll be thrilled]

what they really, really like is our home-made hummingbird recipe. one gallon of water to 4+cups of sugar. that made a HUGE difference.
hope this helps?

Brian Hiller
Willimantic, CT