[CT Birds] Puffin Eggs

Greg Hanisek ghanisek at rep-am.com
Thu Jul 8 16:36:49 EDT 2010

Not only puffin eggs but puffins themselves are regularly eaten in Iceland.
>From Wikipedia: "Their meat is commonly featured on hotel menus. The fresh
heart of a Puffin is eaten raw as a traditional Icelandic delicacy..." As
Roy noted, even though Atantic Puffins barely have a toe-hold in the U.S.,
they're quite abundant in their overall range. Because of personal quirks,
one of my favorite TV shows is "Bizarre Foods With Andrew Smithern." He did
a show from Iceland once in which he went out with locals when they caught
puffins out of the air at a nest cliff using very long-handled nets. And of
course later cooked and ate them. Quite tame compared to the huge spiders,
palm grubs and poison puffer fish he's usually consuming. The Scotsman
Gordon Ramasy also caught and cooked puffins on one of his TV food shows
once, causing a stir until it was revealed it happened in Iceland, where it
is quite legal.

Greg Hanisek
Waterbury