[CT Birds] Puffin Eggs

Sunrisebirding at aol.com Sunrisebirding at aol.com
Fri Jul 9 03:12:32 EDT 2010

While leading a National Audubon trip to Greenland and Iceland in the early
 90s, the group and I attended a dinner where puffin was served.   The
(whole) roasted birds were elegantly arranged on the buffet table among the
slabs of caribou and walrus.  It was a strange menu for an Audubon  group.
Having just rescued two baby puffins in the ship swimming pool  earlier that
day, I couldn't bring myself to try it.  We visited on town in  Greenland
where the meat aisle in the grocery store had seal, walrus and  miscellaneous
birds packaged in plastic wrap and barcodes, just like you'd buy a  roast
chicken in Stop & Shop!
Gina

In a message dated 7/8/2010 9:37:26 P.M. GMT Daylight Time,
ghanisek at rep-am.com writes:

Not only  puffin eggs but puffins themselves are regularly eaten in
Iceland.
>From  Wikipedia: "Their meat is commonly featured on hotel menus. The fresh

heart of a Puffin is eaten raw as a traditional Icelandic delicacy..." As
Roy noted, even though Atantic Puffins barely have a toe-hold in the U.S.,
they're quite abundant in their overall range. Because of personal quirks,
one of my favorite TV shows is "Bizarre Foods With Andrew Smithern." He
did
a show from Iceland once in which he went out with locals when they  caught
puffins out of the air at a nest cliff using very long-handled  nets. And
of
course later cooked and ate them. Quite tame compared to the  huge spiders,
palm grubs and poison puffer fish he's usually consuming.  The Scotsman
Gordon Ramasy also caught and cooked puffins on one of his TV  food shows
once, causing a stir until it was revealed it happened in  Iceland, where
it
is quite legal.

Greg  Hanisek
Waterbury