[CT Birds] Puffin & Roseate Info

PATRICIA BAILEY bails at att.net
Fri Jul 9 09:43:21 EDT 2010

FYI,
Per July 7, 2010 update on Puffins Eastern Egg Rock, Maine -  [On July 4th, 1981, twenty nine years ago,  Steve Kress and Evie Weinstein saw a puffin flying over Eastern Egg Rock with fish in its bill – a wildly joyous sighting. That observation was the first of many during that summer which led to confirmation of five nesting pairs- the first since 1885.]

Puffins numbers at Egg Rock have continued to increase since that first sighting, with currently 99 active puffin burrows on Eastern Egg Rock - a record high number for this date.  At this rate of discovering nests, last year’s record high count of 107 puffin pairs will be passed by the end of the field season.

Project Puffin staff helped to conduct a census of all terns in the Gulf of Maine from June 12-20.  On Audubon-managed islands, a total of about 8,500 pairs of Common, Arctic, Roseate and Least Terns were tallied.  This total for all species compares to a similar number in 2009, but populations of Roseate Terns have now declined by 25% over the past four years.

Pat Bailey
Sherman, CT