[CT Birds] Puffin & Roseate Info

Benjamin Van Doren nimajneb3 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 9 11:05:02 EDT 2010

Hi all,

Speaking of Puffins on Eastern Egg Rock, I recently had the amazing
opportunity to land on Egg Rock and view puffins and terns up close with
some other teen birders as part of Audubon's Hog Island summer camp. For
those who don't know, Hog Island has been running as an Audubon camp since
the 1930s (early instructors included Roger Tory Peterson), and it's for
adults and teens alike -- something I highly recommend to anyone interested
in birds, or even just in nature. Spending the week on Hog Island is an
awesome experience, and birding with and learning from people like Kenn
Kaufman, Scott Weidensaul and Steve Kress makes it even better.

Unfortunately, Egg Rock is closed to the public, but this year as part of
the camp everyone got to view it from boats circling the island, and us
teens were able to actually view the birds up close. It was amazing, if
bittersweet; it is likely, due to human disturbances (causing, for example,
inflated gull populations and the introduction of invasive plans), that the
populations of Atlantic Puffins and Roseate, Arctic, and Common Terns on Egg
Rock will only be able to continue breeding there if there are people
managing the habitat and predators on the island every summer. At the same
time, it was a reminder that, even though the natural balance has been
thrown off in so many ways, it is possible for one person to make an
incredible difference, as Steve Kress did by bringing puffins and terns back
to Egg Rock. Here are some links to images I was able to capture during the
few incredible hours we spent on the island:

Savannah Sparrow<http://warblings.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/20100622_hog-island_0335.jpg>
Atlantic Puffin in
Common Tern<http://warblings.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/20100622_hog-island_0293.jpg>
Roseate Tern in
Roseate Tern perched<http://warblings.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/20100622_hog-island_0530.jpg>
Arctic Tern calling<http://warblings.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/20100622_hog-island_0478.jpg>
Arctic Tern flying<http://warblings.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/20100622_hog-island_0438.jpg>
Black Guillemot staring at the
Two Black Guillemots

If you'd like to see more pictures from that week on Hog Island and from Egg
Rock (or if those links don't work for you), feel free to read my blog post
from the week:

Benjamin Van Doren
Cornwall, CT