[CT Birds] Puffin Eggs

paul cianfaglione pcianfaglione at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 10 09:37:09 EDT 2010

I agree with Roy that the taking of Puffins and their eggs have no negative impact on the species at this time. Right now, I would worry more about shorebirds. The hunting of shorebirds, both legal and illegal, still exists in Central and Northern South America. As "Birds of North America" (online version) mentions, little information can be obtained from the wintering grounds about how many shorebirds are being harvested, but as an example, about 1,000 to 1,600 Greater Yellowlegs have been estimated to be taken annually in Barbados. When experts estimate that there are aproximately 100,000 Greater Yellowlegs globally, you can see why I'm more worried about shorebirds. The same concerns can be made about the American Golden-Plover (150,000 globally), Pectoral Sandpiper (400,000 globally) and the Stilt Sandpiper (50,000 - 200,000 globally). Once shorebirds leave North America, they essentially become breakfast, lunch and dinner!!

Paul Cianfaglione