[CT Birds] Stratford Common Moorhen, 12 shorebird species

Nick Bonomo nbonomo at gmail.com
Sat Jul 10 18:22:24 EDT 2010

Hi all,

Charlie Barnard found an adult COMMON MOORHEN at the warehouse pool at
the end of Long Beach Boulevard in Stratford late this morning. I
later enjoyed it with Charlie and Scott Kruitbosch. Apologies for not
posting earlier...I think we just assumed the other would post it.
Scott also mentioned a couple STILT SANDPIPERS were at the Access Road
pools during the week, which I don't recall being posted here but I
may have missed.

Access Road highlights:
4 Wood Duck
Gadwall
2 Killdeer
11 Gr Yellowlegs
6 Lr Yellowlegs
3 Least Sandpipers
4 Short-billed Dowitcher
2 Boat-tailed Grackle

Stratford Marina had 15 Gr Yellowlegs.

Milford Point highlights:
GREATER SCAUP
Semipalmated Plover
6 Piping Plovers (2 ad, 4 chicks)
11 Oystercatchers (10 ad, 1 chick)
2 Spotted Sandpipers
24 Semipalmated Sandpipers
2 Least Sandpipers
WHITE-RUMPED SANDPIPER
Short-billed Dowitcher
Laughing Gull
4 Common Tern
3 Least Tern
2 Purple Martin
3 Bank Swallow

Sandy Pt highlights:
2 Semipalmated Plovers
11 Piping Plover (4 ad, 7 juv)
4 Oystercatchers
2 Spotted Sandpipers
9 "Eastern" Willet (8 ad, 1 juv)
10 Semipalmated Sandpiper
4 Least Sandpipers
3 Common Tern
80 Least Tern (all adults)
Willow Flycatcher

Overall, Laughing Gulls remain scarce along this stretch of coastline.
Common Terns are not yet staging here in general. Shorebird numbers
and diversity are increasing...in just one week places like Milford Pt
may be holding several hundred migrant birds. Bank Swallows are
beginning to stage along the coast.

Photos of some of today's birds, including distant Moorhen pic, are here:
http://shorebirder.blogspot.com/2010/07/stratford-moorhen-shorebirds.html

Nick Bonomo
Wallingford, CT