[CT Birds] Stratford Common Moorhen

Chasbarnard at aol.com Chasbarnard at aol.com
Sat Jul 10 19:38:07 EDT 2010

To be honest, I didn't post the Common Moorhen because the path going in
along the "Warehouse Pool" is off-limits by order of the USFWS.  The RR
Track Trail is open, but not the path going along the Warehouse Pool.
The USFWS is getting very serious about this, so I did not want to direct
birders to a spot which would get them into trouble. Besides, USFWS has good
 reason to want to keep that particular trail off limits.
  Scott and I have valid permits, since we do surveys in there.   Nick
entered with us, entirely legitimately, since he was coming in on our  permits
and invitation.    I should have mentioned to Nick that USFWS  was getting
serious about the area being off limits, but I didn't think of  it.  (Sorry
Nick. You did the correct thing in posting, since you did not  know the
situation with the USFWS tightening up on access.)
Anyway, by looking for the small path which is along the left side of the
road as you drive past the Warehouse Pool, you may be lucky enough to spot
the moorhen, if it is still around.  This path is before you go behind the
warehouse.  The view is poor from there now, due to trees which  fell over
the corner of the pond nearest to the road in the big storm of  about 2 weeks
ago. Bring plenty of insect repellent, because the mosquitos are  as big
and bad as New Jersey Mosquitos.
Charlie Barnard Jr.