[CT Birds] Stratford HOODED MERGANSER/Little Blue

Scott Kruitbosch kbosch at gmail.com
Tue Jul 13 11:58:19 EDT 2010

At Long Beach Blvd. pond this morning I had a juvenile HOODED MERGANSER all
by itself. This is a very notable bird for this area of the state in July.
The species does breed in the northern part of Connecticut. I also had a
juvenile LITTLE BLUE HERON in with the Snowy and Great Egret. There was NO
sign of the Common Moorhen. I would think, based on how many people have not
seen it in the last 2 days, it has moved on. As with the Moorhen, the Merg
and Little Blue can be viewed from the road at the pond or in the warehouse
pools. There is a 10 foot path to the pond if you pull up in front of it.
Aside from staying in publicly accessible areas this saves you from the
bugs, too.

Nearly every family of birds is moving around right now, whether it be
dispersal or migration. Tomorrow and tomorrow night we will have northerly
winds behind this front. It could push even more new birds to us. If a few
raptors follow this this 2-3 week early schedule they may not be far off. I
saw 4 Barn Swallows migrating yesterday afternoon when I walked outside of
my house for a minute. While Barn Swallows are definitely not notable this
movement is. I see it regularly at the beginning of August.

 From Scott Kruitbosch:
07/13/10 - Stratford, Great Meadows IBA, Long Beach Blvd. -- 1 juv. LITTLE
BLUE HERON, 1 juv. HOODED MERGANSER.

--
Scott Kruitbosch
Stratford, CT