[CT Birds] Milford Pt. +

Alexander Burdo alexanderburdo at mac.com
Thu Jul 15 17:39:22 EDT 2010

James Orrico and I birded Stratford and Milford today, with all the
expected species seen, mixed in with a few highlights including all 6
swallows. Most notable, were the migrant swallows seen behind the
warehouses and at Milford Pt.  Behind the Warehouses were 10+ Northern
Rough-winged, 5+ Barn and a few Bank. The Moorhen was not present. At
the Access Road Pool we had a few Lesser Yellowlegs, Semipalmated
Sandpipers and a Killdeer. Because the gate at Stratford Pt. was
closed, we moved onto Milford Pt, where we encountered many species
including the following highlights:

1 Sanderling
120 Semipalmated Sandpiper
5 Least Sandpiper
8 Semipalmated Plover
40 Common Terns (many were roosting on a sandbar before it was covered
by the tide; 6 juveniles and 2 first summers were among the adults)
4 Laughing Gulls
2 American Oystercatchers (didn't walk out to see the Piping Plovers)
20+ Barn Swallow
2 Tree Swallows
1 CLIFF SWALLOW (first of the season for Milford Pt., seen with the
hordes of Barns)
8 + Bank Swallow
3+ Northern Rough-winged Swallow
6 Purple Martins (a 6 Swallow day!)

Another birder also had a Whimbrel roosting on a bar before it was

Alex Burdo
Fairfield, CT