[CT Birds] Black-billed Cuckoo Torrington

twan leenders tleenders at ctaudubon.org
Fri Jul 16 08:02:49 EDT 2010

This morning around 6AM a BLACK-BILLED CUCKOO was calling emphatically from the woods behind my house in western Torrington. I heard and saw one calling last Tuesday in Falls Village and now there is one in my backyard - first time I've ever heard one here. Does anyone have any information on why this sudden increased activity may be taking place? Post-breeding dispersal? Very early migration? Or maybe just increased foraging activity - there certainly are plenty of caterpillars available at the moment.

=======
Twan Leenders
Conservation Biologist
Connecticut Audubon Society