[CT Birds] B-b Cuckoo

David Provencher davidprovencher at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jul 16 08:24:00 EDT 2010

When I lived in Preston I lived in a house in the middle of the woods. The
house is in a mixed hardwood habitat with wooded wetlands. Early in the
breeding season we would have one or the other of the Cuckoos in the
vicinity of the house on a few years. However, post-breeding we would have
both species around the yard virtually every year, sometimes with both
species calling simultaneously from trees right in the yard. This is one of
the reasons I used to refer to the old house as the Cuckoo farm. So my guess
would be your bird represents post-breeding dispersal.

On another note, Yellow Warblers are on the move. I have heard a few passing
over Millstone in Waterford in the early morning. I have also heard a couple
of Bobolinks pass over.

Dave Provencher

Naturally New England