[CT Birds] Black-billed Cuckoo Torrington

Tammy Eustis teustis at killingworthlibrary.org
Fri Jul 16 10:45:31 EDT 2010

Re. increased bird activity: I had wondered if the extra-warm weather and advanced growing season were going to push the birds into earlier schedules this year. Since the plants are all 2-3 weeks ahead of themselves in growth, it only makes sense that the insects - and the birds, and the rest of the food chain - would follow. Our goldfinch are already in nesting/feeding mode, and they're well ahead of their usual time. An early fall migration may be the true indicator this year. (And then what? Early winter? Or a "dead zone" of activity as the weather gets back on track?)
- Tammy Eustis, Chester