[CT Birds] Stratford (Housatonic River), Common Terns

Chasbarnard at aol.com Chasbarnard at aol.com
Fri Jul 16 11:35:29 EDT 2010

There were at least 290 Common Terns standing on the sandbars off of  Short
Beach this morning.  I am sure that I missed a few in the  mob, as some had
to be blocked from view and others were flying about farther  out.  I was
able to spot only about 6 or so fledglings among all these  terns.

 Gull numbers were low, with about 65 Ring-billed Gulls, 35 Herring  Gulls,
2 Great Black-backed Gulls and 15 Laughing Gulls. Shorebirds  were almost
non-existent out on the open sandbars.

Charlie Barnard Jr.
Stratford