[CT Birds] Sandy Pt.

MARIA STOCKMAL m.stockmal at snet.net
Sun Jul 18 17:00:52 EDT 2010

Migration at Sandy Pt. is picking up.  Last week I had one Semipalmated Plover.  This week there were several.  The Common Terns are beginning to congregate on the sand bars and eating a lot of fish.  One Common Loon in breeding plumage.  The usual Sanderlings, peeps (mainly Least Sandpipers),  one Gr. Yellowlegs flyover, Snowy and Great Egrets, one Black Duck, a Willow Flycatcher calling, no Oyster Catcher young this year but a few attempts at nesting were made.  Willets and Spotted Sandpipers nested successfully.  Least Tern chicks and young are prevalent.  Nick Bonomo and his crew of volunteers did a great job of expanding the fenced area and protecting the Least Tern nests!!!!

And by the way,  since I monitor Piping Plovers there were seven nests.  So far, and not official, it looks like there were eight fledged chicks so far with another two probably fledged chicks but still with an adult.  I am monitoring five more chicks and one more nest to go!

Maria Stockmal
Branford